Tuesday, January 8, 2008

There's no crying in baseball (or in politics)

Hilary cried today and boy did it make headlines.
Crying is a "normal" ( my least fav word ever) part of being human. Everyone should be allowed to cry when they need to. Only, I have always said when it comes to work, never let them see ya cry. I worked in stressful situations in the ER with difficult people that went around making everyone cry. I recognized it as a power trip that I refuse to travel on. If I let someone make me cry it in the er, then my integrity was compromised. But that is a different type of crying than getting slightly chocked up about something we are passionate about.
We expect that kind of thing from Halle Berry when she wins an award, Jerry Lewis at the end of a labor day telethon, and maybe even the judge from the Anna Nicole trial. Americans are not going to vote for a man or a woman that cries. In Hilary's defense I think being a woman has her in a "damned if you do" position. If she stands strong they label her an ice queen, but if not she might be too weak to press the button if we need to go to war. It just seems so unfair, she should be able to show emotion without the media throwing it all around and trying to sabotage her running.
Which is why I think she voted not once but twice for the war in Iraq. It was to prove that she can think like a dude. If it wasn't for a few things like this I've found about her recently, she did have my vote. When she was caught in her moment of emotion it seemed to be about change. Yes, change is an action Americans really need to see. We need to change many situations we are in, starting with all of the soldiers giving their lives everyday. Then maybe we could work on healthcare?
Either way, a crying democrat is better than a lying republican.

No comments: