Thursday, January 3, 2008

Diary of a carb queen in the cold

For the first few days of the year Florida weather is showing signs of the typical "winter". On new years it was really not that cold, but the following days after have dropped from the 80's all the way to the 40's. Jack Frost was out this morning and he totally sabotaged my workout. Oh well, better Jack Frost than jack daniels.
I'm sorry for those who are in snow while I complain about a nippy yet sunny morning. I just cannot do cold anymore. If I could move any further south then I would. Cold weather does nothing for me but keep me indoors and under covers.
I'll admit that I do not want to even think about getting on the scale today. That victorous 5 lbs that I lost in the past week may have made a comeback since the last days I have fallen off the wagon. Since we've rung in the new year, besides the drinks, there have been many indulgences in bread and chips. (chips not good for hips!) Yesterday dh talked me into chinese food- and I did eat some chocolates.
My plan is to not deprive myself of everything. but from past experience, I know that if I want to lose the weight, there can not be too many "off the wagon" days. There can not be skip the gym days. I glanced through Michael Thurman's book yesterday and agree with a lot of his weight loss principles. He claims his diet can reduce one pant size in 6 days. Of course I think it's possible, but one must follow his plan of no sugar, lower carbs and lots of water (and the 6 sm meal a day plan) Dh continues to debate with me that not eating is going to help. When actaully, skipping meals is only a recipe to appear larger.
I can't seem to help my carb addiction. I've read somewhere that there is a gene for carb addiction- could it be more in people like me of Italian descent? Since I've known myself, I've always loved breads, pasta, cakes and pastry! My grandparents always found holes in the italian bread when they got home from the market. My grandfather used to speculate there was a mouse with my name in the car. The shop owner then had a small loaf of bread waiting for me when I would go shopping with my grandma. That was only the beginning. It took years of eating too much of the wrong stuff to realize it was draining my energy and making me fat.
Today's plan is simple. No bread :( only salad, a soup (or stoup as Rachel Ray calls a stew/soup), lean proteins and beans. I already made it through the morning without sugar in my coffee, no sugars today.
Activity- stomach crunches, leg lifts, walking lunges...away from the fridge:)

No comments: