Sunday, January 13, 2008

i had a baby, not a complication

For any of you who happen to read my blogs about health care and insurance companies excuse my vent, because here is one more day that I have to relive the memory of gving birth to my stillborn baby.
I must first explain that while I have insurance (I pay through the nose for as self employed) I had to apply for assistance due to the fact that the maternity plan will cover all but my delivery. Here in Florida, a seperate policy is required for maternity benefits. If the pregancy is a surprise, good luck getting them to pay anything before 6 mos or one year. Something I think is a total injustice to women- no one should be penalized for being pregnant. (i'd have better coverage if i was 15 and unmarried!)
Today my insurance company called me about my doctor resubmiting claims to get paid for the delivery. The office manager knows that the remainder of the bill was 100% covered by the state plan since they did pay the hospital bill in full. The dr office is trying to send the claim as a "complication" of pregnancy. If they do that I will be responsible for $3k of the bill. He will get more money- I was told he's been paid over 1200 $ already.
I expressed my situtation to the agent- Julia was a healthy baby. There was no reason for her death other than the doctor making me wait to deliver. I whole heartedly believed she needed to come out at 38 1/2 wks. I was overblown with amniotic fluid and felt really bad the last 2 wks.The baby even moved in ways that seemed awkward to me (but what do i know- it's only my body) My complaints were dismissed as typical discomforts of pregnancy.
Up until now I have peacefully (and painfully) processed my grief for my loss. Now, I cannot help but get angry.

No comments: