Friday, October 12, 2007

durable spirits

think that bad things happen to teach us something, whether or not we learn from it is up to each individual. Just like people are meant to inspire us, and to be inspired is to be " in spirit". I think Jackie O was one of those people. Recently, I read about her stillbirth to a daughter before she had john & caroline. I'm not sure if she was a full term baby but I thought it was sad that they did not put her name on her tombstone- as if a stillbirth is a void. But I guess that's how they thought back in the 50's. As if this was not enough loss, she later had a baby boy that died of a resp. illness at only 2 days. I cannot imagine what she was feeling...being in a high profile marriage that was not always happy and then to witness her husband being murdered at her side.
No wonder she wore big sunglasses- it wasn't a fashion, it was a way to disguise her pain. I know this feeling, if people cannot see my tired eyes, they can't see that I didn't want to put on makeup or tears I am holding back. Being overhwelmed with grief is something we wear like clothing, and for that poor women it never seemed to change seasons.
She wasn't just a graceful first lady and fashion icon, she was a warrior.

No comments: