Saturday, October 27, 2007

another healthcare vent

When it comes to politics, lately I can really care less. Although, in other blogs that I have out there, I've been very expressive with disgust because I feel like where there needs to be change...we've kind of fallen asleep. There is something wrong with the picture when billions are being spent on a war, but here things are falling apart. Everytime I open my yahoo page there is something about the child healthcare bill. Unfortunatly, George W doesn't seem to think the healthcare and welfare of children is all that important since he continues to veto the bill.

It seems to make sense to me to raise the tobacco tax in order to put together a healthcare plan for all children, if not everyone. Aren't children important? Whether or not I ever have any, I look at them as the future. And yes, the future is in trouble because no one cares. I feel like I'm going to be an old lady in a world like that movie where the people have really low IQ's and living in piles of trash and have green drinking water. Ok, it's a comedy and I shouldn't make fun of it, but seriously I wonder if that's where things are headed.

The rep. say that the plan proposed doesn't give enough to low income kids and too much for adults, and said nothing about blocking out illegal immigrants. First of all, I think there needs to be a focus on the working, middle class people before they are extinct. Adults are paying way too much for meds and private healthcare for those who do have it. And considering illegal immigrants (the only issue they seem to play with), part of the problem with these people is the lack of taxes, but if they are smoking, they are paying some contribution to this plan. Ok, it's a small part, but I look at it as a win/win situation.
I have a strong stand on my healthcare soapbox only because when this ship began sinking in the 90's, I was on it taking care of people who were drowning. And when they stopped paying me and cutting my home health clients I had to jump overboard. I got to see first hand what happens when people have no one to take care of them, esp the elderly or mentally incapacitated on the homefront. Ultimtaly, I decided I couldn't finish my nursing career since I care too much about people than about money. I highly respect the nurses out there who are humanitarian- it was those girls who worked nightshift at WP Hospital who got me through the labor. (when the dr spent about 20 min in the room, they spent 14hrs) I will never forget them.

No comments: