Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Past due

Everytime I look at my son, I am extremely grateful. Not only did this little miracle arrive healthy without any breathing intervention- he was one month early. This was due to the quick thinking of my doctor, Bernard Despres.
The emotional roller coaster of a pregnancy is enough, but when there has been a previous loss with a full term delivery involved, there is much nervous anticipation. I did everything possible and more to arrive at my due date with my sanity and health in check. i will admit I was very anxious about the delivery and how far the doctors will allow me to go before an induction.

Anytime I meet another mom-to-be, I strive NOT to be the cautionary tale. But I want women to be aware of not only what's going on with their bodies, but also not to be ashamed of stepping up to medical professionals when they KNOW something is not quite right. Today's standards of care leave much to be desired, especially when insurance companies have all the control. This is not about money people, this is life coming into the world. What is the value of a mother in our society? a woman?

Case in point, a woman I know is nearly 3 wks past her due date. Unfortunately, she too had a late term loss previously. I can only imagine what is going on in her mind. Her doctors keep dismissing her when they should have induced her weeks ago. Without knowing her history, I do know they told her there was no found cause of her loss. This should be even more reason for her doctors to act now. I've spend 3 years studying the causes of stillbirths and according to the high risk experts, many times it can be reoccurring.

. This is not the first time  many times, it is due to a lack of insurance. Sure, everyone wants to say "oh well, she should have insurance". Easier said than done right? Many people don't know that insurance companies will often deny pregnancies after a loss- particularly late term losses. Disgustingly sad, but true.
My outrage is, what is going on in America, in the state of Florida where insurance companies allow women to go without prenatal coverage. Why must people be penalized for miscarriages and stillbirths?
Yes, there are people who abuse the system and have a million kids to keep getting financial support. We judge those people and they don't care. We have no idea what others may be battling. It should be more about people than it is about money.

No comments: